I was invited to share files on Dropbox. Dropbox won't let me upload the files as account os over the limit.
Hi there, @Weatherguy, thanks for joining our Community!
Indeed, when it comes to shared folders, the files uploaded take up space in each member's account.
That means that if you don't have enough free space in your account, you won't be able to upload more files.
A workaround for this is to ask the owner of the folder to send you a shared link to the folder instead, so that you can access/view the contents, and to upload files, they can send you a file request.
With the file request, you'll be able to upload files to their account, without affecting your own space.
I hope this helps, but let me know if you have more questions.
If you're uploading into someone else's shared folder, I'd first check whether the folder is actually using space from your Dropbox account or the owner's account. Shared-folder behavior can be confusing because the storage impact depends on how the folder is set up and whose account owns it.
If your own Dropbox account is already over its quota, that can prevent uploads even when the shared folder itself appears to have plenty of room. In that case, freeing some space in your account or moving some of your existing files elsewhere should get you back under the limit.
I'd also check the storage breakdown in your Dropbox account before deleting anything, just so you don't remove files you still need.
Thanks Hannah.
No problem, @Weatherguy!
If you need anything else, let me know.
Have a great day!
My basic plan info says I have either 4.75 GB or 2 GB of storage and have used on;t 178MB. When a friend tries to add some photos to a shared folder Dropbox tells him I am out of storage space. What gives?
The following may be of use to whoever responds. The info in My Account shows the following:
2 GB of storage to help you store and share files.
Personal Dropbox space
Using 178.1 MB of 4.75 GB
Regular files (240.9 KB)Backup (0 bytes)Replay (0 bytes)Shared files (177.8 MB)Unused space (4.6 GB)
Doesn't really look like I am out of storage space.
When a friend tries to add some photos to a shared folder Dropbox tells him I am out of storage space
The amount of photos he is trying to add is bigger than the quota you have free. So, it is over 4.45gb or so (as thats what space you currently have free).
Shared folders use up the quota of everybody within the share.
If you need to view them why not ask for a Transfer link or a shared link instead?
I don't think he has more than 4 GB of photos to upload. I put 95 pictures in that folder it they only consume 178 MB.
But I asked him to tell me the space his pictures use.
I don't think he has more than 4 GB of photos to upload. I put 95 pictures in that folder it they only consume 178 MB
He does if that is the error. It will stop and not allow sharing as soon as it goes over.