Hi,
I’m opening a new thread because I believe the problem is now easier to describe after having gone through the troubleshooting on my side.
I have an older Samsung TV, a Samsung UE46F8005, running a streaming app that loads an XML file from a public Dropbox folder.
This setup has worked perfectly before. I have not changed the TV, the streaming app, the XML structure, or the way the link is configured, and the TV is not set to automatically update its firmware. The problem simply appeared even though I have not made any changes on my side.
I have also already tested the XML itself by putting the exact same XML content directly into the app. In that case it works correctly. The problem therefore appears to occur specifically when the app/TV tries to retrieve the XML from Dropbox.
This makes me suspect that something has changed on the Dropbox side, most likely concerning the way the shared link is handled.
Possible redirect / new link architecture issue
I found this previous Dropbox Community discussion about the change from the old /s/ links to the newer /scl/fi/ link architecture.
In that discussion, Dropbox explains that the new link architecture can involve an HTTP 302 redirect, and specifically mentions that applications need to be able to follow the redirect. Dropbox also describes a dl.dropboxusercontent.com variant which does not require the application to follow the HTTP 302 redirect.
This seems particularly relevant in my case because the Samsung TV is using an old platform/browser/network stack, and it is quite possible that it cannot handle the current redirect/link behaviour correctly.
The previous discussion also shows that similar third-party integration problems have occurred with the newer Dropbox links.
So my question is:
Could you please check what happens when the XML file is requested from my Dropbox link, including the HTTP response and any redirects involved?
In particular, could you check whether the current shared link is now redirecting the request somewhere that this older Samsung TV cannot handle?
The important point is that the XML itself is valid and works when included directly in the app. The problem only occurs when the app has to retrieve the XML from Dropbox.
I have done the troubleshooting on my side and have not made any changes to the setup. This setup previously worked, so I would really appreciate it if someone could investigate whether something has changed in Dropbox's handling of the shared file/link.
I will link to my previous cases/posts in this thread so you can see the history and that this setup has worked before.
Thanks in advance for looking into this.