cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Suddenly Dropbox not working on all of my Mac

Can't open the Dropbox desktop application on Mac OS 13.4

MountainDog
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Upgrade my Macbook Pro from 2018 to a new 2023 Macbook Pro M2. Installed the latest version of DB,, and the app crashes after a few minutes. However, I installed an older Intel version and it r,uns without crashing. I am a paying customer of DB. Tried running the adv reinstall (https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall), and it installed the Intel version. Which is seems stable. Ideally, I would like to run DB natively. Open to suggestions and ideas.

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 3.33.41 PM.png

M2 Proc

76 Replies 76

prahar
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Spoke to Dropbox support. Basically a beta update was released last night so if you're signed up for "Early Release" downloads then you probably have this issue. To fix this first go to dropbox.com then Settings>General and then unselect Early Release. Then go to "https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-176-4-5108/td-p/691723" and download the last stable build and reinstall!

Worked for me!

jkprk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I had the same issue so I asked in the Dropbox chat support. The person assisting me said I am not using the "stable version" (or a beta version) so she guided me through unchecking my option preference for including me in the early releases and downloading a stable version. I am pasting her instructions below FYI; but I suggest you contact the chat support. Hope this helps!

===========
"It appears that you are running a beta (or experimental) build of the Dropbox desktop application. As beta builds are still in the testing process, you could experience some issues or an inconsistent experience."

"I need you to go here : dropbox.com/account/general"

"From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" since it is checked"

"Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application:
dropbox.com/download
Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes."

xenoc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

same exact problems on multiple macs, both intel and M2 chips, all Ventura 13.4. no fix with multiple reinstalls, website access to DropBox seems unaffected

xenoc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same on multiple macs, all silent crashes, no error messages

william1111
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@cmcintoshphoto wrote:

Having a similar issue it seems. It was working fine last night / this morning (possibly) but has since crashed and won't start. I tried a clean install (deleting all DB files from library) and it started, only to disappear when I went to right click on folder to share in finder. Horrible!! I just had to do a really headache-inducing clean install after dealing with massive issues with Beta last month! (currently using the non-Beta version)

Curious: you had the issue even though you didn't have the beta (i.e.,  "Early releases") option in "General" preferences checked on your account page at: https://www.dropbox.com/account/general?

I'm sure I'd switched mine off—but then I checked and found it had been reenabled. Just curious if that was the case for you or anyone else… 

Thanks!

LarryFP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks.  Mine has been up and stable for more than an hour after uninstalling and installing this stable version.

I also turned off the 'early releases' in my options.

Hopefully this fixes it, but it's already been working longer than it has been for the last day so I'm optimistic!

PMSO
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Similar to the others, but this is happening on two different machines:

#1: Mac Studio Ultra 13.4 running production Dropbox app

#2: iMac 2019 13.4 running BETA Dropbox app

Both have the same problem since approximately the same time (I say approximately based on which files were last synced from which machine).

When I start the app, Dropbox appears in the Activity Monitor (3 processes). The main process takes a chunk of CPU for 2 seconds then goes to zero while the thread count oscillates between 51 and 50 threads. After 5 minutes, it quits. At no point does the menu icon come up.

The Finder extension for pulling down offline files does seem to work _after_ a reboot. When I first discovered the problem, it was not. After the reboot, a new file synced up and some I was trying to view came down. New files sent up from iPhone have yet to come down to either machine (both should get them).

If the production version worked while the beta didn't, I'd ask about downgrading, but that isn't the case.

I have 185Gb available on my account (a 2Tb account) so it isn't some edge condition when running out of space.

PMSO
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Wanted to say that I tried running Dropbox on my Macs (iMac 2019 on beta and Studio Ultra on production both on 13.4) and tonight, it came up fine and caught up on the syncs I did from my phone as well as a few files from each machine. Since I had issues with the beta and production releases, the common element would be the servers. I wonder if they did a release that broke the desktop apps' access.

Neither machine was rebooted before trying or anything special.

Give it a go: seems fixed

CallmeKK
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Turned Off early release under settings on the DB Website settings - then installed this older version, and is stable, 100% sync, and NO issues.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-176-4-5108/td-p/691723

15" M2 MBA with 13.4 Ventura 

CallmeKK
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Turned Off early release under settings on the DB Website settings - then installed this older version, and is stable, 100% sync, and NO issues.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-176-4-5108/td-p/691723

15" M2 MBA with 13.4 Ventura 

Thank you. 

Need more support?