I have deleted all my photos from Dropbox now and it's still saying I am out of storage space. Any ideas why?
Thanks.
Hi there, @Jasmine2023, thanks for reaching out to us!
Is it possible that you have shared folders or backup files taking up your space?
What do your account settings show regarding your usage?
Let me know what you find.
I don't have any shared files and I don't understand how back up files work. Account is saying 4.0 GB/4.0 GB used.
No worries, Jasmine, I'll try to explain and if you have any questions, feel free to let me know!
So, there's a Dropbox feature called "backup", which allows you to back up system folders on your computer, like the Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders, or external hard drives to your Dropbox account.
If your account settings and the backups page show that you have backup files stored in the account, it means that at some point you enabled the backup feature for those files.
If you don't need them, you should be able to delete them from the backups page to free up the space they're taking up.
I hope this helps!
I have checked and do have photos in Backup folcers but not sure how to delete them as it doesn't seem straight foward.
Would you mind sending me a full page screenshot of what the backups page looks like for you, so I can guide you through it, Jasmine?
Thanks for the screenshot, Jasmine!
If you click on the "…" (ellipsis) button on the far right of your backups there, do you see an option to delete them?
If not, can you send me a screenshot of the options you see?
Yes there is an option to delete
Hi from me too, Jasmine! Did you click on the “Backup Settings” button, as it shows in your message? If yes, you can then follow these steps to delete your backups from there.
I am wary of pressing the delete button lol.
If you check the syncing status of your desktop app, what does it say exactly? Just to make sure that it’s not currently trying to sync anything related to your Dropbox backups.
It says the files are up to date.
Hey there, @Jasmine2023!
If everything is up to date and you have confirmed that no files from the PC (1) backup are needed, you should be good to delete it. Would you like to give it a try and let me know how it goes?
To be honest there isnt much on the PC one but there is on the External one. Am I okay to delete that as well?
Hey @Jasmine2023!
Once you've confirmed you no longer need any files from the external drive backup, you can safely delete it. Deleting the backup from the site only removes the backup copy and will not affect your actual external drive. Please keep me updated on your progress!