cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost data after being removed from a team I accidentally joined

Lost data after being removed from a team I accidentally joined

raihan ahmed1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Since 2019 I was using dropbox free version. Last month someone shared some data to me on dropbox and after downloading them I asked him withdraw the sharing but by mistake he suspended my account and after the I could not see my data on desktop app and when he removed the suspension, I could successfully login but my data on desktop app was still not visible. So, I had downloaded and installed the app again and it started downloading the data but after downloading I am seeing that I have lost all my data almost 18GBs from June 2021 to May 2024. I tried to recover them from C drive but failed.

Can anyone suggest, if there is any way to recover them ?  

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II

@raihan ahmed1 wrote:

Last month someone shared some data to me on dropbox and after downloading them I asked him withdraw the sharing but by mistake he suspended my account ...

It sounds like you were invited to and then removed from a Business team account, instead of a simple shared folder. You'll need to contact the team owner (likely the person that deleted and restored your account) and ask them if they have any of the data from your account. When they deleted you they would have had the option to retain the files.

raihan ahmed1
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Rich but my dropbox folder was not in sharing

Mark
Super User II

@raihan ahmed1 wrote:

It was as soon as you joined the Team. 

When you did that everything in your account became owned by the Team - you are told this during the onboarding process. Its why Dropbox almost tries to force you down setting up a new account instead. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II

@raihan ahmed1 wrote:

Also, don't think of it like sharing. You were invited to join another person's Dropbox team account. By accepting, you merged your entire account into theirs. As Mark stated, at that point, they became the owner of your account. This isn't the same as simply sharing a folder.

raihan ahmed1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Mark, I understood, what you said. So, is there any option that the administrator of that account can do in setting and I get my remaining data back ?

raihan ahmed1
Explorer | Level 3

I get you Rich. Is there any possibility of getting back to my previous data ? I really need a solution to this issue. Otherwise I'm suffering a lot

raihan ahmed1
Explorer | Level 3

Is there anyone, who can support me on my above issue ?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @raihan ahmed1 - sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that at this point, you'll need to reach out to the team's admin to ask them to convert your account back to an individual one using these steps

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

raihan ahmed1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter, my account has been converted to individual account but the data I got only 2.75GB, rest 15GB data is still not visible. How to get them back. My account was not a business or paid account. So, I am seeing only the synced data.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    raihan ahmed1 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?