cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My laptop doesn't show up in my connected devices list, even though it's syncing files

My laptop doesn't show up in my connected devices list, even though it's syncing files

annml
Explorer | Level 4

Having trouble with dropbox not seeing a device. As in, if you go to settings and then click Security - you scroll down and it shows your device list and the devices that have been removed from list. Details:

-- I can have 3 active devices, presently shows only 2 listed

-- Have ended all dropbox tasks multiple times, have restarted laptop

-- Have quit dropbox in taskbar tray

-- Have reinstalled dropbox multiple times

-- I know dropbox is working with this particular laptop bc I've created "test" documents and saved them on laptop local dropbox file explorer - which then sync up to online files immediately

Because dropbox isn't seeing this laptop, I can't use backups. When I try to created a backup, it shows my old PC as the only option for the backup -- I can't choose my laptop bc it doesn't see it.

Any ideas?

35 Replies 35

annml
Explorer | Level 4
Thank you Hannah that’s helpful! Just 2 final things:

— the backup does have “Documents” as a folder choice to backup. So if I move my Dropbox under Documents, is that a way to both sync and backup? If no, I understand I still have sync.

— I don’t have any Dropbox icons next to my synced files on my computer, why wouldn’t they be there and how can I fix that?

Thank you so much!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Happy to clarify, @annml!

So, I'm afraid moving the Dropbox folder to the Documents folder, won't allow you to back the Dropbox folder up.

The Dropbox folder is what you use to sync and back up files to your Dropbox account; so you can't really back that location up, unfortunately.

About your sync icons, would you mind hovering over the small Dropbox icon in your system tray and let me know the sync status and version of the app?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

annml
Explorer | Level 4

Hovering over the icon says - 197.4.7571

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! It should also tell you the sync status of the app, e.g. "up to date", "syncing..", etc.

What is it in your case?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

annml
Explorer | Level 4

Apologies - I forgot to also state it says "up to date".  And I've tested all formats - desktop, web, phone -- and if I make a change, the change is immediately reflected in each format.

So since all seems to be working well,  maybe I should just forget about the missing icons (ie checkmarks, sync icons etc)..?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @annml, I hope you don't mind me chiming in here!

It might sound trivial, but in regards to the icons of your files/folders, have you tried restarting your device at all? 

Would you mind sending us over a couple of screenshots of the missing icons, in order for us to have a clear view?  

Megan
dropbox.com/support

annml
Explorer | Level 4

I just restarted and it's the same. Also, dropbox disappeard from my tray so had to open manually - is that normal? Screenshot below - no sync icons.

annml_0-1713377056386.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @annml. When saying you had to restart manually, did you go to your Start menu and relaunched the Dropbox app from your Programs? If yes, do you see the Dropbox icon again in your system tray now? 

Other than that, did you have any recent OS updates, right before the syncing icons disappeared from the Dropbox folder? 

If not, I'd like you to give these steps a go and let me know if they help.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

annml
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy - yes, I had to relaunch the dropbox to get it back to the system tray - and yes it's there now.

I might have fixed it using the link with the overlay info - but I don't want to speak too soon. I'm letting things sync (I think!) so I'll come back after double checking some things.

Thanks Nancy!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Glad to hear that! Fingers crossed the issue’s resolved now.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?