cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: files stay here for the team

"files stay here for the team" prevents me from moving files from team to personal folder

msakten
Helpful | Level 6

I - a TEAM ADMIN - cannot move files or folders from a team folder, to my personal (i.e. ADMIN) folder. I get an incredibly annoying message "files stay here for the team". How do I get around this?

53 Replies 53

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Currently, there isn't a feature to allow you to convert a team folder into a personal folder, nor is there any information on if this will change in the future. This has been the same since Dropbox Business teams were created.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

msakten
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Jay, I'm sorry if there has been any confusion. I am not trying to convert a team folder into a personal folder. I am trying to move a file from inside a team folder, into my private dropbox folder. Please see the images and video from previous posts. I've linked the video again below for your convenience. 

[Removed as per Community Guidelines]

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the clarification. In general, the same would apply for moving files or folders from the team folder into the personal folder. 

This is for security purposes to prevent team members from losing access to data and this applies to team admins as well trying to do the same thing.

The only method to get files from a team folder into a personal folder would be to copy them to that personal folder.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

msakten
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you for the explanation, but again with all due respect, I can't see how this makes any sense, because I can:

1. Move the file from a team folder (E.g. folder TeamFolderA), to another team folder which does not have any team members (e.g. TeamFolderB). So all team members of TeamFolderA will still instantly lose access to the data.

2. I can delete the files from the team folder.

And how I - as the admin and account owner - do not have even the option to perform this action is beyond comprehensible to me. 

MrSmrth
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue today for something I have been doing with Dropbox for years.

The explanation for this issue is very disappointing and must be false since it has never occurred before. Something must have changed recently to cause this annoying issue, which requires a tedious workaround.

I wish it could be solved so we can use Dropbox as before or at least explained to us why it is happening now.

Stacie2
Helpful | Level 6

I just ran into this issue today.  I've been using it the same way as you for a long time, and midmorning this morning - I all of a sudden ran into this issue.  It was working the way it always had earlier, and now I'm getting this error.  There HAS to be something that changed, that can be changed back.  How do we escalate this issue to get better explanation?

Stacie2
Helpful | Level 6

This issue just started for me yesterday.  I was able to drag and drop files into their sub folders just fine, and now all of a sudden I have to copy the file, and paste it into the subfolder, then go back and delete it from the main folder.  This terribly cumbersome and time consuming.  I need this to go back the way it was working.  Is there a fix for this issue?  This is the message I get when I try to drag and drop.

Stacie2_0-1713967343992.png

Stacie2
Helpful | Level 6

Exactly.  So this was a recent update issue?

XionicFire
Collaborator | Level 9

Well yes and no, 

Before this last major update, you could just tell dropbox to F off with his "team" folders and just use normal folders shared, you could share individual folders to individual people without needing to share the whole thing

Team folders have some nice features but for users that constantly needed to process data, not being able to move the data back and forth in and out of the individual folders was a pain, the constant nags broke scripts and caused lots of lost time and annoyed employees

"Processor" employees had their own "not shared" folders where they downloaded the data from the team folder, processed it, then moved it back into the team folder after the LiDAR processing was done a few days later, this was essentially impossible using teams.

Now with the new update, were unable to place folders on the dropbox root folder, private files are now forced to be used from the "users" folder, the user folder is a terrible place because it forcefully uses the name of the account as the folder name, there is no way to rename or change this, so we cannot just use the general scripts we use to process the data, we would have to make specific scripts for each employee and rename them every time this changes.

The only way to place a folder in the root folder of dropbox is to make a team folder now, which comes with all the restrictions

This is why this new update sucks, there's no way to work around this and this is what is pissing us all off

mgambrell
Collaborator | Level 8

I don't understand this and I don't want to. I am the god of my dropbox account and I require the power to move files from a team directory to a personal directory. I had it until today.

Need more support?