cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online-offline file status (no File Provider) causing trouble copying all contents out of Dropbox?

Online-offline file status (no File Provider) causing trouble copying all contents out of Dropbox?

jonnybangerdoor
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am trying to simply make a copy of the complete contents of my Dropbox folder by option-dragging it to another location on my Mac (not using File Provider). However, I keep getting “operation not supported” messages, the number files remaining jumps all over the place from negative numbers, zero, etc, and the copy operation keeps failing. Is this due to the fact that “online only” files are not there to be copied initially? Is there no way to turn off online only files and make all files available offline? It turns out to be quite difficult to take everything out of a Dropbox, doesn’t it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jonnybangerdoor - thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to our Community!

Have you tried selecting the online only files you'd like to copy and making them available offline before copying or moving them?

If you did and this persists, please send us a screenshot of the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar and clarify your device's exact OS version as well.

This will help us assist further. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jonnybangerdoor
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Should I maybe try not copying the files out but moving them out entirely? Then Dropbox will surely have to download them all properly onto the drive?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jonnybangerdoor - thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to our Community!

Have you tried selecting the online only files you'd like to copy and making them available offline before copying or moving them?

If you did and this persists, please send us a screenshot of the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar and clarify your device's exact OS version as well.

This will help us assist further. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jonnybangerdoor
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. I see that command on the contextual menu now, though it only appears when I select one or two files, so it looks like I have to put all my files into a single folder and then make that folder available offline. Thanks for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jonnybangerdoor Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?