cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronization in offline mode in Windows is unstable.

Synchronization in offline mode in Windows is unstable.

K14M
Explorer | Level 3

I configured my PC client to work offline. And in the settings I chose WHAT FOLDERS I NEED! But at the same time, these folders DO NOT DOWNLOAD to my PC until I try to open them.

Dropbox didn't work like that before. Previously, he downloaded files IMMEDIATELY when I selected them in the settings. How can I make Dropbox DOWNLOAD the files I need without trying to open them?

7 Replies 7

K14M
Explorer | Level 3

K14M_0-1714003577044.png

Why does this folder weigh 536 kilobytes on disk if it weighs 198 megabytes in the cloud? Why is this folder not downloaded to the computer even though there is a checkmark in the Dropbox settings?
Why?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @K14M, let's jump right into this! 

The first thing I'd like to clarify, is if we're talking about selective sync, or making files' status as online-only

Also, in the second screenshot, it's not entirely clear to me which folder you're referring to. Can you specify? 

When did this behavior start happening? 

Let me know more, thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

K14M
Explorer | Level 3

In my first message I wrote "to work offline". Is that clearer?

K14M_0-1714006497122.png

K14M
Explorer | Level 3

This behavior started immediately after installing the client earlier this month.

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 8
Hello @K14M,

When you select a folder in Dropbox selective sync settings, it starts syncing to your computer as online-only. That means it doesn’t fully download the files, it just creates placeholders for them that have the gray cloud icon, just like you experienced.

To achieve what you want here (have that folder be fully downloaded locally), after checking it in selective sync settings you need to go to it in Windows Explorer, right-click it and from the Dropbox context menu select “Make available offline”.

Andrew (DBoxTips)

K14M
Explorer | Level 3

Then why the hell is there an “offline mode” option in the program settings if it doesn’t **bleep**ing work!? Why the hell can you select folders in the settings that SHOULD BE DOWNLOADED ON A PC if it doesn’t work and requires additional actions? why did you make dropbox worse???

K14M
Explorer | Level 3

It also says “Select folders that will be STORED on this computer.” STORED ! Do you know the meaning of this word?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

K14M Explorer | Level 3
    DBoxTips Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?