cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Dropbox Backup does not sync to Dropbox iPhone App

New Dropbox Backup does not sync to Dropbox iPhone App

robncarin
Helpful | Level 6

There is a new PC folder (labeled PC) created in the new backup program that backs up my files on the internet (dropbox.com) only . However, that same folder does not appear on the Dropbox App on my iPhone or on my PC (dropbox folder)  - so none of the new files that are downloaded to the internet sync with the iPhone App. When I manually place files in the  Dropbox folder on my PC, it will then sync with my iPhone dropbox app. 

There use to be a file in the dropbox folder labeled for my Dell Computer name, and that file still exists, but it does not back up to that file as it use to before this new backup program existed. Almost all the files in that Dell Computer name folder have now disappeared. 

How do I automatically sync new files to my desktop PC dropbox folder, and therefore also the iPhone App, without manually having to do so?

I don't think drop box is supposed to work this way.

25 Replies 25

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @martinipete, thanks for your feedback about the backup feature here.

I've made sure to pass it on to our team.

As for your question, indeed, if you have the backup feature enabled and then just copy the same files into the Dropbox folder, you'd be storing the same files twice.

So, to avoid that or work around that, you could disable backup and just move/copy the files you want to your Dropbox folder.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Spushor
Helpful | Level 6
What has happened here is an example big Tech arrogance and disregard for the Customer and lack of communication in regards to the nature of this back up and the elimination of important functionality the syncing of the Mac desktop into the dropbox back up.

In My case a dialog box was sent to me on a midnight on a Saturday. I was going on vacation. I had no warning no courtesy email no nothing from Dropbox explaining what was going to happen to me.

This shows a lack of courtesy and respect to the customer .

It is arrogant and unacceptable at the least, and email should’ve been sent to the users explaining the upcoming backup and the functionalities that would be eliminated .

That did not happen and this is why a lot of customers are unhappy. I wish I could find an alternative right now and I’ll be on the lookout to see if anything else I can do to replace Dropbox because I’m sick of this lack of communication - this dialogue box being thrown on me without any warning confusion about the back up and the elimination of functionality I pay for on a yearly basis - you’ve gone backwards not forwards for no reason given why this particular functionality was taken away from Mac users .

Had Dropbox in a proper way in a courteous way communicated in advance - maybe customers like me wouldn’t be so upset .

Alexandria Va

koadev
New member | Level 2

This is a big feature downgrade. I often accessed files I had backed up from my iPhone for reference. It makes me rethink why I have this service. Very disappointed.

kylebam
New member | Level 2

This is complete and utter non-sense to disable this feature. This is the only reason I pay for Dropbox. I need to be able to access my files on my Mac while I am out and about on my iPhone and iPad. Why in the world would you disable this feature and not have the ability to re-enable it? Is there any update as to if this function will be available again? I just renewed my plan for the year a couple weeks ago and now I cannot even use Dropbox how I would like. I am very disappointed in this breakdown and would like to cancel if this feature will no longer be available in the future. Such an oversight...

Spushor
Helpful | Level 6
I have tried everything to impress upon Dropbox to bring that feature back to no success there is no rhyme or reason why they took it away.

Certainly cannot be storage or bandwidth They don’t have any hard space bandwidth is not issue. I don’t get it. Nobody does. These people operate a different universe, big Tech arrogance.

My workaround:

The only file that’s available is the documents file and important stuff from my desktop I need I proceeded to the dropbox file on my Mac called my files to Dropbox and copy and pasted important information in that file it’ll show up on my mobile phone . A Workaround. I wish there was other companies that I could get besides Dropbox. I am so fed up with these people.

kylebam
New member | Level 2

So you are just manually pasting items into a folder in your dropbox account? Makes it difficult to always go back in and remember to back up things manually. I reference client work often and have to go back into files all the time. Terrible to have a workaround when there was a feature that was previously working well. 

Need more support?