cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox not syncing

Dropbox not syncing even after reinstalling

K4Unl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So here's a doozy.

I've recently reinstalled my windows. My Dropbox folder was on a secondary drive, so didn't get formatted.

I have reinstalled Dropbox, and pointed it to the old dropbox folder. It spent a few days indexing, and decided then that it needed to upload and download a bunch of files. This is all fine, but it's not actually _doing_ that. It just knows that the files have to be done, adding new files will up the counter, but it's not doing anything. I can sometimes click on the icon in the bottom right corner and it'll suddenly go to 75 kbps, jumping down to 20 and then back to nothing (just no speed indicator at all)

I've reset ownership, i've reinstalled the application. I'm at a loss. I've been googling for a few days now, trying loads of suggestions from this forum but i cannot figure it out. Who can help me?
Dropbox was working fine before i reinstalled.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

K4Unl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Walter Thank you for checking in.
Right before your message i decided to give it another try. Doing the same as i did before:
Uninstalling, renaming my old folder. Reinstalling, pointing it to the same drive, waiting for it to get done syncing and download, quit dropbox, renamed my old folder again, and started dropbox.

After indexing my 300k+ files, it suddenly started downloading and uploading. I have no idea what i did differently but i'm happy it worked out.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@K4Unl wrote:

I have reinstalled Dropbox, and pointed it to the old dropbox folder.

I never point Dropbox to an existing folder. The process that I use and has always worked flawlessly is to first rename the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar, then reinstall Dropbox and let it create a new Dropbox folder in the same location. As soon as it's done, pause syncing or exit the Dropbox application, copy (to be safe, copy, not move) the files from Dropbox_OLD into the new Dropbox folder and then resume syncing or launch the app again.

It will still go through the re-index process and upload/download as needed. There's no way to avoid that. But this way has always worked for me.

K4Unl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hmmm.. I'm not sure i did that, it shouldn't matter as i removed the .dropbox-cache folder from the directory.
I have over 1TB of files locally, and my drive isn't big enough to have that twice.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @K4Unl - sorry to jump in here; are you still having issues with this?

If so, could you please send us a screenshot of the app's status and version as shown in your system tray at the moment?

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

K4Unl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Walter Thank you for checking in.
Right before your message i decided to give it another try. Doing the same as i did before:
Uninstalling, renaming my old folder. Reinstalling, pointing it to the same drive, waiting for it to get done syncing and download, quit dropbox, renamed my old folder again, and started dropbox.

After indexing my 300k+ files, it suddenly started downloading and uploading. I have no idea what i did differently but i'm happy it worked out.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear you're back up and running @K4Unl 

See you around the Community and have a lovely week ahead! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?